With the economy doing so poorly and people losing their jobs right and left, lots of folks are being forced to give up their hobbies. I mean who can justify 18 holes of golf at a time when those of us who still have jobs are being told we should just be thankful we've got jobs?
Well to heck with the bad economy!
Top 5 reasons to start a gardening hobby now:
- It's cheap - you can buy a pack of seeds for a couple of bucks. Think about teaming up with one or two other people to split seeds or look for seed swaps on the Internet.
- It's healthy - especially in a time where our finances are so unstable it's important to stay healthy to minimize healthcare expense costs. While you'll pay out the wazoo for conventionally grown (and especially organic) fruits and vegetables at the grocery store, you can grow your own for next to nothing. Eating lots of fruits and veggies will boost your immune system which should help you stay healthy.
- It's good for the environment. When money is tight, it is virtually impossible to justify buying sustainable, environmentally friendly products. Let gardening be your contribution to the planet.
- It'll encourage you to compost, which means less garbage going to the landfill and rich natural fertilizer for your garden to boot.
- It's relaxing and in high stress times like these, we all need more relaxation outlets. Remember, stress contributes to illness.
Can you think of more reasons why it makes sense to start a garden hobby in the global economic crisis?