grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Monday, May 21, 2007

My first garden

We bought this house about 3 years ago and although it's not the backyard I'm use to, everyone says "wow this is a big yard!"

I've always wanted one of those backyards that you walk into and you never want to leave. One that so inviting and peaceful that you feel like you could sleep there.

We installed a privacy fence 2 years ago and I thought that was the beginning of something beautiful. Instead, it's just a fancy backdrop for ugly weeds. Last summer I was so motivated to create my masterpiece gardens that I actually paid a service to prepare the beds for planting and clear out the old stuff. Then, I sat and watched the weeds grow back...

I've been on this kick to be more "green" lately and according to all the shows I've been watching I should shop at my local farmers market because it takes less fuel for the food to get to me than if I buy it from the big chain grocery. So, for the past few Saturdays, I've gone there to purchase better-for-the-earth tomatoes. The problem is that the shit is so expensive! I know I know, its worth it in the long run but screw this - I'm growing my own!



Here's my food garden, bless it's heart. It really doesn't stand a chance with me as the overseer because I'm one lazy bastard.















I dug all 11 holes by myself and man oh man was that hard work. You can't really tell but I planted this thing smack in the middle of my backyard - right by the patio. I know this is quite a conspicuous place for a vegetable garden but I read something that said if you don't place your garden near your house you will be much less likely to take care of it. Remember, I'm a lazy bastard.


Plant list: 2 Big Boy tomatoes, 1 Sweet 100 tomato, 1 Roma tomato, 1 Grape tomato -
you guessed it, I love tomatoes. What can I say, I grew up in the south where we eat tomato sammichs for meals and whole tomatoes as side dishes. 1 Broccoli, 1 Red Bell Pepper, 1 Jalapeno pepper, 1 Sweet Basil, 1 Greek Oregano, 2 Strawberry, 2 Cantaloupe, 1 Watermelon.


I feel like I gave birth! I'm obsessing over things bothering my garden. We have a resident rabbit who has babies in the middle of my yard year round. For the first time I've actually considered putting a hit out on him so he wont eat my babies. I don't think that technically breaks any of the organic gardening rules, does it? Don't worry, I'm exploring eco friendly options for keeping that thing outta my garden but I make no promises about her or the millions of squirrels.


I can see why they say gardening is good for the soul. I've been so stressed out at work for the past year and this afternoon of planting and digging was the first time that I can remember not stressing over work for that long. I think I'm hooked. Matter of fact I know I am since I've drug out my Property Survey and started drawing out my entire backyard landscape plan. I'll be taking on this project by myself which should be interesting since I'm scared of bugs and hate dirt.


Yes, I've notice my tomato cages are up-side-down and they have been fixed.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of gardening ! I don't believe you when you say you're lazy because it seems you've seriously jumped in and started what will be a lovely garden if you keep it up.

    The work out you get from gardening is better than the gym or jogging. I'm a quarter century older than you and I still put in 8 hour days planting other people's garden. Not because I have to, I enjoy it.

    Don't look at gardening as work but as a stress reliever and a healthy pastime.

    ReplyDelete