grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Monday, May 5, 2008

Official Pergola Plans



This is the official pergola plan as drawn by Pie Guy today. Disclaimer: This is not drawn to scale and Pie Guy is not an actual architect.

When Pie Guy and I work together on a project, there is always some detail that we argue over. Maybe you can help me decide this (win this) one. Looking at the drawing above, would you describe the rafters of the pergola as perpendicular to the fence on the left or parallel to the fence? I'm hoping to be able to go back and tell him that my official poll says he's WRONG! We keep score...

10 comments:

  1. They're perpendicular to the fence. They're parallel to the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parallel is two lines going the same way like this '='.

    Perpendicular is two lines going opposite of each other like this 'T'

    The rafters are perpendicular to the fence

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perpendicular - parallel is what your car is when you find parking on the street in Lincoln Park.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say perpendicular, but I can see why the argument started. It depends on what you are calling the "rafters."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perpendicular. Wow, that pergola will be stunning in real life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perpendicular to the fence as a whole..although the argument could be made that they are parallel to each fence board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. leslie - I knew it! parallel to each fence board is what i was thinking. So, since this is my blog im gonna say that everybody else is wrong ;)

    thank you all for your responses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, define rafters. I would say that the rafters hold the top cross pieces and hence are parallel to the fence. I would turn the top cross pieces over so that the detail on the piece is opposite what is shown. Love it! Love the name 'Pie Guy'. Does he bring the pies or do you make him the pies?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say, I make the pies.

    ReplyDelete