grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Friday, February 22, 2008

2008 Tomato Lineup

Following Colleen and Carol's lead I thought it was about time I introduce the starting lineup for the 2008 tomatoes. I'm starting them all from seed and if everything works out ok I won't need to buy a single plant! Except for 1 variety, all my tomatoes are from seeds I received from Trudi over at wintersown.org. Trudi participated in the garden bloggers seed exchange and she really hooked us up on the tomatoes. Drum roll pleaseeeee!!!

Blondkopfchen
Prolific yellow cherry tomato - Indeterminate
75 DTM

Brandywine
Heirloom This will be my first time with Brandywine - Indeterminate
75-90 DTM

Beefsteak
Meaty fruits over a pound! Indeterminate
80 DTM

Comonaut Volkov
Delicious red tomato - Determinate
75 DTM

Heinz 1439 (may try my luck at canning with these)
Canning variety - Determinate
80 DTM

Large Red Grape (I love grape tomatoes on salads!)
Long clusters of oval fruit - Indeterminate
72+ DTM

Martian Giant (Martian sandwich?)
Large red beefsteaks - Indeterminate
90-100 DTM

San Marzano Plum (I see sun dried tomatoes in my future)
Pear shaped paste tomato - Indeterminate
80 DTM

Tomato Blend (I'm always up for a good mystery!)
Assortment of different shapes, sizes, colors - Indeterminate
70-100 DTM

White Beauty
After Marc was showing off his exotic 2008 tomato line up I was inspired to order these seeds from Baker Creek. I'm sort of creeped out by the thought of a white tomato but I just need to see these for myself.

There you have it folks! I can't wait for that first juicy tomato! Which ones are you growing this year? And I was sitting here wondering if there is a gardener out there who grows veggies but does NOT have a single tomato in their kitchen garden. If you are out there we'd love to hear from you. I personally do not think they exist.

3 comments:

  1. Good list. I really am embarrased by the plain-ness of my list and am going to order some more varieties. I don't know how I ended up with such Boring Tomatoes!

    Carol, May Dreams Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creeped out eh? LOL! I felt that way the first time I ate a green zebra.....but it was so yummy the color didn't matter after that.

    good luck with your tom toms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. carol - the only reason I have anything besides the plain jane ones is because trudi had some great ones to choose from. there is no boring tomato! only delicious heavenly ones!

    nickie - what im worried abous is that I always make my bf taste stuff i'm scared of first before I try it, but he won't eat a raw tomato unless it's on a veggie burger. This means I'm on my own!

    ReplyDelete