grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Friday, May 30, 2008

Creative Water Conservation

This is the dehumidifier in my basement. It sucks the water right out of mid air into a nice collection device. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? This is the container that the water collects in (below). It's pretty big, I'd say about 2 gallons. In the summertime this thing sometimes fills up every other day. I'm always amazed how crystal clear the water looks when I pour it out.
So I was thinking instead of pouring the water down the sink in the basement, I could use it to water my garden. It's sort of like having an indoor rain barrel!

3 comments:

  1. Gina, I think that's a FABULOUS idea! Great way to use your noggin and "repurpose" something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We alwayd dump ours outside. Last year, when we had very strict water restrictions starting late summer, that was the only water our plants got. Made me think why there aren't any huge ones for outside which suck out the water from the humidity. Waterproblem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use mine for watering plants. It's better than tap water & more reliable than rain water.

    ReplyDelete