grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Today's Coolness

I finally spotted a baby Cantaloupe!! I have 2 plants and they have had billions of blooms but nothing like actual fruit until this. I have to say that, to me, this looks NOTHING like a Cantaloupe. In the back of my mind there is this little evil voice whispering "what if it's really squash? you don't know what you are doing."I really really love these little grape tomatoes. They look just like grapes to me!! Now I see why they are called that! When I've added them to my salad at the salad bar I never understood why they were called that. They look way more like grapes when clustered on the vine like this than in a big black bowl on the salad bar.

Thanks to marc and Carol I had an unexpected early harvest of onions. Per my post yesterday, these poor things were way overcrowded. Now here's the thing - do I use these on burgers like I do regular onions or in a casserole where I normally use green onions??? I'll be conducting informal polls at work today to find something delicious to cook with these TONIGHT. I can't wait! Thanks again, guys!


4 comments:

  1. I have just the recipe, Gina. Green onions are a main ingredient in Korean food .

    Thinly slice some rib eye steak
    ( slightly frozen ones slice better ) and barbecue it on the grill. Slice the green onions, including green tops, into 1 inch very thin slivers diagonally. Drizzle with Sesame oil and salt. Serve with Asian style rice and stir-fried vegetables.

    Place green onion mixture inside the thin slice of rib eye and pop into your mouth . UMMMM, good !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure doesn't look like a cantaloupe! You will have to keep us posted on this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that i didnt plant any onions...and i am so impressed at what a gardener you are becoming..im glad you are getting to feel what its like to grow something...pretty rewarding huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn - thanks for the recipe!

    laurie and chris - i'll keep you posted.

    Shannon - maybe you should plant some now! It'll be 9 thousand degrees in memphis for several more months, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete