grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Smoothie Recipe: Spinach Banana Date Coconut Water


This is my new favorite smoothie.  I got the recipe from a raw vegan guy who makes YouTube videos on juicing and smoothies.  I find him very entertaining and all of his juice and smoothie recipes I've tried have been good.


Recipe:
  • Water from one coconut (use the coconut meat too if you're not worried about the fat content)
  • 1 banana
  • 2-3 pitted dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
  • 1-2 handfuls of spinach
Open the coconut and dump the water through a strainer into the blender to catch any woody particles that may have fallen in during the opening process.  Add banana, dates, spinach and blend until smooth.  Drink immediately.

If you can't find or don't want to deal with actual coconuts you can substitute store-bought coconut water.  I was able to find young coconuts at Whole Foods but the process of opening them was pretty barbaric and messy.

On the suggestion of a Whole Foods employee I used a hammer.  It worked, but with every crack of the hammer, the outer flesh of the coconut was flung onto the counter, backsplash, my face, my husbands face.  I guess I need more practice.

Don't let the green scare you.  It's really delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment