grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Friday, March 21, 2014

Brass and Smoked Glass Console Table

I've been eyeing this console table at one of my favorite thrift stores for weeks. I can't decide if it just keeps being there because it's waiting for me to buy it or if it's just crazy ugly. Every week this table is like "I'm still here, Gina. You know you want me!"


As you may have noticed from my refreshed logo, Me and gold stuff are in love.

I'm thrilled that gaudy 70's and 80's stuff is back in decorating. I am mesmerized by this particular gold or brass or whatever it is. Shiny! And the shape of the table with its crisp, hard lines and sharp corners that are so much more awesome than rounded ones.

But wait! It gets better!


It doubles in size!

I've learned to really appreciate pieces like this that can be so normal sized on a daily basis yet spring into action providing tons of space for food or presents or somebodies drink. Our house is only around 1100 square feet, so yeah, more expandable tables!

My problem with this table is the smoked glass. I can't get beyond it! It takes this gaudy in an amazing way table to a retro in a bad way one. I don't even get smoked glass! To me it should be reserved for going to extreme measures to block out light, never on furniture. Ever.

Lately I've been doing a lot of self monitoring about what I bring into my house.  I fall in love with so many pieces of furniture! But in our small space things just have to be well curated. I'm trying to come to terms with that.

I have a very strong preference for used or thrifted furniture. It is typically more affordable, greener, has more character and quite frankly I just don't see new stuff I like that much. But it sure does narrow the pool of options. And for me that lends itself to impulse buying furniture that I don't really love. Or sometimes really hate in the case of these hideous chairs that are now living at my mother-in-law's house, thank God. And the only thing I've noticed so far is that things I really love, I just love them and have to buy them immediately. Period. And things that I don't love end up being posted on twitter and instagram where I beg for people whose taste I appreciate to tell me what to do, then become frustrated because there is never, ever a consensus on stuff like this.

So, that I have blogged about this and bugged all my friends about it must mean this table is a no, right? Hilari Younger, a finalist on Design Star once said that she only has stuff in her house that she walks by and says "I love you, you're amazing". I have a feeling I would walk by this table and be like "I want to love you but I hate that gross smoked glass!"

Thoughts on the table? Am I making the right decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment