grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Gardening Updates

Semi Dwarf Georgia Bell Peach Tree is confirmed dead. This little tree was one of the first things I planted in my garden.  Clueless, I planted it close to my house where it grew taller than I expected. In 2010 when it was three years old and I spotted baby peaches for the first time I was in shock. People said I'd never get peaches from it. Not in our climate. Grace. Last year the baby peaches up and died one day when they were about the size of golf balls. And all the leaves fell off. In the fall I tried to trim it only to be informed by my neighbor that I'd merely "topped it" and likely killed it. Cause of death - unknown.

Bindweed is already coming up all over the garden. This is earlier than I remember ever seeing it. I am so not ready for this battle. Bindweed is the one thing in this world that makes me think of resorting to using chemicals in my garden.

I finally found the nerve to dig up some dandelion greens and I added them to this spicy Italian soup I like to make. I only added a little in case it's terrible. But I'm excited to be branching out.

I cleared out three of my six raised beds in my vegetable garden.  If you knew my mental state right now you'd understand why this deserves to be here.

The two asparagus I planted last year are up. I traded Jessica some rhubarb for the asparagus. My rhubarb never came up. And far as I know, neither has Jessica's or Jennah's, who I also sent some to.

The strawberry invasion is worse than I could ever have imagined. They are completely covering the 2.5 foot space around the 4 x 8 foot raised bed they're in and have even spread into the adjacent perennial bed. Worse, I'm having a serious moral dilemma about whether to try to give these away or just start yanking them out. I'm all for sharing plants but I'm not thrilled about the work that goes into the finding of the people to come get them and the dealing with said people who will likely see my garden which is a shambles. I don't want to talk about it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're having a go at it. I've got early bindweed coming up also. It's the only thing I use Roundup on. It is tenacious.

    Keep at it. Good therapy and don't worry about what others think about your garden.

    ReplyDelete