grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Volunteer Bells of Ireland Seedlings

Two years ago I planted Bells of Ireland, Molucessa laevis in a big container along with Purple Fountain Grass, Pennisetum setaceum and Creeping Jenny, Lysimachia nummularia.  Since then, the Bells of Ireland has volunteered in the same pot every year.  And I love it.    
Bells of Ireland seedlings are easily recognizable by their wide, ribbed leaves.  This is one of my favorite plants to let go to seed hoping they'll volunteer all over my garden.  The mature plants only grow a couple of feet tall and the narrow apple green bell covered stems look really beautiful against almost any other plant.  Plus, the foliage is just as interesting as the flowers and I'm always looking for plants with interesting foliage.  I'm excited that this year the Bells of Ireland has volunteered in another garden nearly 20 feet away from the pot they originally grew in.  It just happens to be right next to the dark red foliage of my Red Husker Penstemon, Penstemon digitalis.  I think that'll be a really beautiful combination.
Do you have a plant that you love to see volunteer year after year?

3 comments:

  1. Sunflowers! Definitely sunflowers! One grew in the composter two years ago and its children and grandchildren return every year. I never had any luck starting them from seed, but the volunteers THRIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sunflowers too. Plus, dill, larkspur, four o'clocks, bachelor buttons, daisies, love-in-a-mist, poppies, dame's rocket and if I'm lucky my moon flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep letting the double poppies my neighbor grows seed themselves on my side of the fence. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete