grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Macy's Flower Show, Belatedly

2009_0403image0052 First off, I'd like to publicly apologize to Macy's for being such a slacker loser and not posting my review of your fab flower show until way after it's all over. You see, what had happened was...I was getting married and ...I had a lot of work to do at work and ...I'm planning this Garden Blogger's Spring fling thing and um...there's the community garden and the remodeling and something about a dog...and I'm sorry as I can be.



2009_0403image0039 Wanna know how you get a garden geek to look at cute dresses and cool jewelry? Put a wig made from roses on it, that's how! Is this awesome or what?











Besides the fact that these rose-wig-wearing mannequins were sitting in the middle of a beautifully arranged garden, the lighting at this display was amazing and I believe it was responsible for grabbing the attention here. Sexy.



Macy's flower show theme was "Welcome Back Color" and I gotta say I really was so happy to see the color in their displays when we previewed their show back on April 3rd. Sure, I went to the Chicagoland Flower & Garden Show last month but as much as I loved most of the displays there, they were trying to be all artsy-fartsy and this was just manure-free jaw-dropping out right pretty-ness which any girl can appreciate.

2009_0403image0071 The flower show was drenched in these loud vibrant colors and I don't know if they planned it this way (and I forgot to ask) but the colors in the gardens and on the mannequins did a great job of drawing out the merchandise in the area with complementary colors which made me want to buy huge bright blue so-not-me bags and so forth. Great job marketing, Macy's!



2009_0403image0019 Despite the rose wigs and the loud colored mannequins, nothing topped the gaudiness of the pink flamingos found all throughout the show. Garden Girl, MrBrownThumb and I nearly out right begged to take these giant topiaries home where we'd proudly display them in our yards because, well, they're cool and who cares?


I hope you had a chance to visit the Macy's Flower Show this month. If you did, I'd love to hear what you thought of it. And if you didn't, I bet you've got some tulips of your own blooming by now. I know I do!



Thank you Macy's for the private tour. The show was beautiful and it was great to learn about all the hard work that goes into the planning and execution of this type of event. Outstanding work!

If you'd like to read more about the Macy's Flower Show please visit GardenGirl and MrBrownThumb who both reviewed the show on their blogs.

4 comments:

  1. "I was getting married." Hello? Details please. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice review Gina. Can't imagine how a teeny tiny itty bitty little thing like your WEDDING might have been keeping you just a wee bit busy.

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather - you need to be on twitter to get our hot-off-the-press news! www.twitter.com/myskinnygarden. Thanks for stopping by and why are you not coming to Spring Fling? I was so hoping to get to meet you finally.

    Garden girl - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm just not into Twitter. I Facebook and blog, but that's about all I have time for.

    ReplyDelete