grow, marvel, eat, laugh, persevere

Saturday, October 13, 2007

I'm A Winner!

For the third year in a row, I'm participating in a football pool. I've never won a dime. I'm about as unlucky as they come. UNTIL NOW! I picked the most games right last week and won!
So, I bought 3 Charlie Brown Azaleas for the good neighbor garden I'm working on. I also bought 4 boards to make one of the raised beds I'm planning for next year. The leaves are starting to fall and I really want to get my lasagna gardening on!

The Azaleas are Northern Lights and although I can't tell what they'll look like if they survive, I did look them up on the net and they seem to be orange-ish. I've been wanting to get azaleas because they remind me of home. I had azaleas at the house I rented from my grandma in Memphis and I never appreciated them. AND, I never took care of them. Man oh man, I thought the soil in my backyard was bad - this stuff was horrible! It was so hard it was like rocks. I did mix in some compost - I sure hope they live. I never noticed that there is not spigot anywhere in the front of my house. Watering should be interesting.

Tomorrow I'll be building the first of the raised veggie beds.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win, Gina. There are a number of Northern Lights cultivars, from gold to apricot to pink...and some are fragrant too. I love them, and I'm sure you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something was tickling my head, so looked up the cultivars, Gina, and the collection are called the "Lights" azaleas, not 'Northern Lights', of which 'Northern' is one of the cultivars; rosy pink, fragrant and hardy to zone 3. A nice choice, especially since the fragrant azaleas are spicy sweet. Hope you enjoy them! And if you're ever in the area...of course you can come for a walk around our landscapes. The mountain, the valley, the shore...it's neat to have all of them so close by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jodi - thank you so much for the info! you rock! I can't wait to see what these look like next spring. I sure hope they live and bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Lucy. The Charlie Brown you picked is a good'un! Don't forget to give it plenty of acidity in the soil - peat moss. Toss your leftover coffee grounds around it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey carolyn! i DID add peat moss this time and i'm calling starbucks today since i dont drink coffee. thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete